Tuesday 21 September 2010

Unit G324 - Short Film - Band research

Vikki began researching interviews with arrogant bands as we want the interviews to be as realistic and comical as possible, she resarched Noel Gallagher and Johnny Borrell as they were well known arrogant musicians with many famous quotes and opinions. I researched mockumentary film posters which inlcuded Borat, Drop Dead Gorgeous and Confetti. These films were also comedies and two of the films included a competition element much like our film. I then researched band posters as our film is based around musicians and is promoting the musicians. I looked at two posters of young, arrogant bands which were the Killers and Razorlight, I then looked at posters of older bands that took themselves a little less seriously, these bands were Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The Presidents of the United States of America, I wanted to look at these bands as they perfectly illustrate the types of bands I want to feature. we are going to analyse both the band posters and the film posters both for the benefit of the film and for the poster.
I also researched interviews with RHCP and PUSA, I wanted to find statements from these bands that showed they took things a little less seriously. I also wanted to get a different perspective on being in a band, what they get out of it and the way they talk about being famous and making music. In an interview with PUSA I found a quote that separated them from the fame hungry, selfish views of Oasis or Razorlight;


S!: Your new album, These Are Good Times People, was just released on March 17th. Do you feel it portrays what kind of band PUSA is now and will always be?
The Presidents: We sure hope so! To us it fits in really well with the rest of the catalog, and so far the fan feedback has been great. We spent a lot of time and energy recording and mixing this record, and it was a very natural and comfortable process. Lots of extra effort went in to writing and pre-production, yet during the recording process we made lots of tweaks and changes improve the tunes even more. We’re proud of it, and we’re having a great time playing the tracks live.
I also found a quote from an interview with RHCP, this quote shows that they play as they enjoy playing rather than for material gain or for fame and selfishness. It really sets apart the musicians we've looked at and helps me to create my characters and how they will see their music and therefore their outlook on life and personality.

The music industry, I've never been concerned with. I've been very fortunate that it has taken care of me.

Quoted from Guitar Center Flea Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment